How To Get Your Real Estate License
Getting your Colorado real estate license is not complex. If you have never had a license you need to take a state mandated course and pass a state test. If you have had a license before, see Step 1 below to determine your educational and testing requirements. Please understand one key difference between Colorado and other States - Colorado is a single license state. This means we do not have a Salesperson or Broker license as is common in many states. In Colorado, every newly-licensed real estate agent is an Associate Broker. This is a one-size-fits-all license that enables you to conduct any type of real estate transaction. The following steps will lead you to getting your Colorado Associate Broker's license:
- New applicants: if you have never had a real estate license, you must take the Real Estate Licensing Course before taking the State licensing exam.
- If you have an inactive or expired Colorado license, or a license from another State: CLICK HERE to see a pdf containing educational and testing requirements. Need some practice help for the test? CLICK HERE for information about our ONLINE Exam Preparation Practice Exams, Courses and LIVE Exam Cram Workshop.
Prior to submitting an application for a license you need to submit a set of fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of conducting a state and national criminal history record check. You can submit your fingerprints at any time - you do not need to take classes, test or bring a special certificate. You just make an appointment at a state-approved IdentoGO fingerprint location and let them know when you arrive that you are getting a real estate license.
For information about the background check and options on how to get and submit your fingerprints CLICK HERE.
If you have concerns about a legal issue in your background and would like to get a preliminary opinion from the Commission as to its impact on receiving a real estate license, please CLICK HERE
Once you have completed your required education, you will receive a certificate from us that will qualify you to take the state exam. You can contact PSI to schedule your exam at www.psiexams.com (for help on the PSI website go to our FAQ page). The exam fee is $45. You must pass the examination before applying for a license.
CLICK HERE to see additional information about the test with a complete description of examination content.
"Super easy to sign up. Navigation was a breeze, The sequential format was spot on. I interacted 100% online. I appreciated the levity your instructors interjected. Passed the CO State and National exams the first try. Thanks!"
- It is important to understand that the process of finding an employing broker is the exact opposite of looking for a job: you interview the broker, not the other way around. Brokerages are always looking for new agents. There are many factors that come into play when choosing a brokerage to call home. CLICK HERE to read additional information on "Finding a Job as A Real Estate Agent"
- We have provided a link to a free website, Realty Connection, that lists services and options of brokerage companies looking for agents. CLICK THEIR BANNER BELOW . ,
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- If you have been or are licensed in another State(s); you need to obtain a certificate of license history from each jurisdiction. If the other license is current (active or inactive), the certificate must be less than 90 days old when you submit your Colorado application.
- Your employing broker must agree to your application for a real estate license. Apply for your license within one year of passing the examination.
- Obtain Errors and Omissions insurance – not expensive, but speak with your new employing broker before ordering.
- CLICK HERE to register and set up your account with the Colorado Real Estate Commission. From there you will submit your application online for your license.
"Easy to follow curriculum. Knowledgeable instructors. Responsive and helpful customer service. I got through the course in two months and passed my exams on my first attempt! I highly recommend the CRES!"
"This course works! I passed on my first try and have to give credit to the CRES team for great classes that are designed to not only get you the information you need to pass the test but also an understanding about how to be a successful Real Estate Broker! DO NOT forget to sign up for the Cram Workshop before your exam - invaluable all day study session with other candidates in a classroom setting. Thank you Colorado Real Estate School!!"